Friday, October 27, 2006

Prayer is the soul's sincere desire

Sorry I wasn't able to contribute yesterday.

My mother has been in hospital(age 95) and was discharged yesterday so I needed to be with her.Had I been at the computer today's title would have been yesterday's because I wanted to declare early in the life of this blog that these ramblings only emerge out of a philosophy reflected in the words of the hymn from which this first line is taken.

James Montgomery 1771-1854 , who wrote the hymn, has been known to me since boyhood from his statue outside Sheffield Cathedral. Though born in Scotland, the son of a Moravian minister, most of his adult life was in Sheffield where he edited a local paper. He wrote almost 500 hymns. He died in the city.

At this stage all I wish to say about the life of prayer is that the internet can be a helpful aid.
I commend three sites that I use regularly:
1. gratefulness.org where you can start the day by lighting a candle and adding a prayer. My candle continue to burn on my opening page each time I log on.
2. sacred space.ie. a Jesuit site with daily Ignatian Bible meditation.
3. monks of adoration.org where you can visit the chapel to focus on Our Lord present in the Blessed Sacrament.

No comments:

Facebook Badge

Peter Ainsworth's Facebook Profile