Carbon emissions have already caused a rise in global temperatures of 0.5 degree C. If no actionis taken, the stock of greenhouse gases could more than treble by the end of the century and result in
- more extreme weather patterns
- flood risk from melting glaciers
- declining crop yields, especially in Africa
- rising sea levels, leaving 200 million people permanently displaced
- ten per cent of global output could be lost
- global consumption per head would fall by 20 per cent.
UK press reaction has been mixed and it is clear that there is no consensus on the best response globally, nationally, or personally. Many are suspicious of proposals in the area of "green taxes". The Archbishop of Canterbury reflects the attitude of campaining Christian organisations such as "Christian Aid" describing climate change as "a huge practical and moral problem", arguing that any policy and lifestyle that does not consider future generations is "profoundly immoral". Single issue campaigns are launched and seeking support like www.christian-ecology.org.uk and www.stopclimatechaos.org but it is clear that little effect will be achieved without some kind of international consenus which will be so difficult, if not impossible, to obtain. What the UK alone, even with government taking a lead, can achieve will be tiny compared to what is needed and the contributions of individuals is bound to be miniscule. It will not be surprising if the majority end up in denial or debilitatingly dubious about any kind of positive reply to the question "Do I count?"
There will be exceptions(www.icount.org.uk). e.g "Six years ago, on the eve of a new year and a new millennium, I made a resolution that has transformed my life. After years of jet travel consultancies and regular trips across the Atlantic, I decided that I could no longer live with the knowledge that my life style was contributing to catastrophic climate change. I decided that, from that point on, I would try in every way to keep my own carbon emissions within sustainable limits" writes a director of "Climate Outreach and Information Network" (www.climatedenial.org). He has decided to become a serious evangelist for the cause but, nevertheless, currently concludes "Above, all we need to struggle with our own doubt. To be effective, we must recognise that we will find it a struggle to maintain our own belief in the threat of climate change in the face of near universal denial. We will need to build a community of people who share our convictions, and we will need to support and nurture each other actively."
Where am I left? Well, I have to say that faced with a similar decision re "ethical investments" I concluded there was no absolute purist position possible whilst living in the real world; ditto "pacifism". Even as an admirer and follower of St Francis I, like most Franciscans, accept the impossibility of absolute fidelity to "Lady Poverty". However the climate change debate is "hotting up" and we must, at least, add it to our Christian concerns.

No comments:
Post a Comment