St Martin’s Homily
Mary’s ‘yes’ to God at the Annunciation make her the first Christian and the model Christian. Today may be called ‘Lady Day’ but this makes the imitation of Mary not only relevant to women but to all Christians.
In the final analysis there are only two kinds of human being: those who say ‘yes’ to God and those who say ‘no’; those who say ‘your will be done’ and those to whom God says ‘OK, have it your own way’.
When Mary embraced God’s will for her she opened the gateway for the drama of our salvation to begin. She was not coerced, she was not pressurised, she was not threatened. She simply responded as only faith and love know how when she said ‘yes’ to God as he asked for her cooperation in his plan of salvation for mankind. She was still saying ‘yes’ to God when she also embraced her son’s suffering and crucifixion in such a way that they pierced her own soul too.
Our vocation as Christians is to imitate her. It is as simple, and as profound, as that. She is the standard and the standard bearer of what it means to live our lives for Christ, in the power of the Holy Spirit.
The late Pope John Paul II often reflected on Mary’s example and urged all Christians to say ‘yes’ to God as she did. On one occasion he said:
“Such a ‘yes’ in imitation of Mary, such a’ yes’ creates joy, a new life, a breath, a
blessing.
One must accept the call. One must listen. One must receive.
Say ‘yes’ ,‘yes’, ‘yes’.
Do not fear life for you have found grace and this certainty, this consciousness, will help you, as it helped Mary”.
I am the Lord’s servant, let what you say be done to me.
| ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

2 comments:
Dear Fr., There is an article that I am unhappy about that is posted on your blog. It shows my name and I have previously emailed you and politely requested that you contact me on more than one occasion so that I could explain. I inadvertently published my personal email address and this is now also showing on your blog Dulverton Ramblings posted by Petros so this is something that I would also politely request that you move. How do I email you without making the same mistake again. Regards.
Dear Anonymous,
Sorry you have some unclear problem.
Please email me direct at
dulverton2003@yahoo.co.uk then you can identify yourself and explain more fully.
I would like to help.
Fr Petros
Post a Comment